Fall in Wisconsin can be a beautiful time. And as the temperature begins to chill, many of us turn to polar fleece to keep us warm — both indoors and out.
Since polar fleece is a knit fabric, with a brushed or napped finish, it has a tendency to pill during wear, handling and washing. This leads us to the question: what is the best way to care for fleece so it lasts season after season? Luckily there are some pretty simple answers …
- Whether the care label recommends drycleaning or machine washing, it’s a good idea to place polar fleece in a net bag to minimize pilling when it’s being cleaned.
- Don’t have a net bag? Turn your fleece inside out. This simple advice reduces impact and friction in the wash.
- Wash fleece garments separately from other laundry.
- Set your washing machine to gentle cycle, with a cool or lukewarm temperature.
- Gently smooth nap with a soft brush after cleaning to improve the appearance of the garment.
- Air dry your fleece whenever possible. If the care label says it’s OK to use a dryer, set to “tumble dry”, and briefly dry using the lowest heat setting. Many kinds of polar fleece have a high shrink factor when exposed to dryer temperatures.
- Avoid using any fabric softeners. This is especially true with athletic polar fleece, which sometimes has special “wicking” properties that can be damaged or removed by fabric softener.
- Ironing is not recommended. It could actually melt the fleece. If you must iron, use the lowest heat setting and place a cloth between the fleece and the iron.
- When warmer weather rolls around, store your polar fleece in a cotton sack. This keeps insects away while allowing the fleece to “breathe”. Never store fleece in plastic bags for more than 30 days.
- Hand wash! This is always an option if you want to be extra gentle with your fleece.
Fun Fleece Fact
Some fleece is made from recycled plastics, making it environmentally friendly. We like that!
If you have questions about your polar fleece, feel free to contact Klinke Cleaners anytime. We’re always happy to help.
Thank you for visiting Klinke Cleaners!